Thank you for your interest in volunteering at BrightHaven!
Your time as a dedicated BrightHaven Volunteer enhances the lives of senior and special needs animals, as well as saves the lives of animals most at risk for euthanasia in bay area shelters.
Volunteering at BrightHaven is an uplifting experience.
How to Get Started Volunteering
- First, read through the sanctuary and off-site needs listed below to see what might best fit your interests and skills. If you have something else to offer, please let us know!
- Contact Vicki via email at [email protected] or call her at 707 578-4800
Volunteering at the Sanctuary
You can make a difference by scheduling time at BrightHaven Sanctuary to both support our operations and to spend time with the BrightHaven animal family. In return the animals will give you love, joy and even perhaps lower your blood pressure!
The animals live in a cage-free, spacious and tranquil home environment. Though vibrant, most of our animals are either elderly or are living with special needs, and consideration for this while volunteering is appreciated.
We ask that all volunteers spend 50% of their time with the animals and then dedicate their remaining time to helping us with other tasks. Here are some sanctuary needs to give you an idea of how you can best help:
- Dog walking
- Cat cuddling, playing with and grooming
- Feeding the animals
- Stable duties
- Pig play and goat brushing
- Help with chickens, roosters, duck and goose
- Office work
- Running errands
- Indoor houseplant care
- Donation of materials
Volunteers and the BrightHaven staff have found that once weekly volunteering with a minimum of a six-week commitment is most effective for our goals to enhance and save the lives of animals. Events and some other tasks may require a shorter or longer commitment time.
There is also much that can be done off site, from your home computer or out in the community. Those who participate in BrightHaven off-site tasks and activities are a tremendous support to our daily operations and are key to making a difference to the lives of animals through our organization.
Here are a few ideas – we welcome more!
- Join the fundraising team
- Create your own event
- Write a grant
- Help with an event
- Post flyers
- Manage a media site
- Become involved in BH rescue
- Become a foster parent
Sanctuary Hours of Operation:
Monday through Saturday, 10am to 4pm
* Due to weekend seminars, Saturday volunteering must be limited to office work or outdoor activities.
* The hours of operation are extended for volunteers helping with feeding or stable work.