Hospice became a way of life at BrightHaven as we have cared for hundreds of senior and special-needs animals for over two decades. In doing so, we have learned so much about love and the circle of life from our animal loved ones. We focus on achieving a state of wellness, joy or balance whether for continued life or for transition. At BrightHaven we concentrate on helping the “being” to be the best they can possibly be, regardless of age, illness, or type of being–human or animal!
Our hospice care is very much aligned with hospice care for humans where love, comfort, dignity and quality of life are of the highest importance, and the spiritual aspect of the journey is highly honored. We strongly encourage anyone interested in learning about animal hospice to first read more on many available websites on the subject of death and dying including the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO) and the Hospice Foundation of America (HFA).
BrightHaven provides leadership in the development and application of animal hospice and its philosophy of care. We are dedicated to improving the care and support of animals with a serious or end-of-life illness. We foster respect and awareness for animals as sentient beings and promote an understanding of death as a natural part of life.
Death is not the extinguishing of the light…It is the putting out of the lamp because the dawn has come.
– Rabindranath Tagore
- Online learning series: The BrightHaven Guide to Animal Hospice—Gail and Richard Pope show you how you can help your animal live well through all life stages!
- Book: The BrightHaven Guide to Animal Hospice—learn how to care for your animal companions in their Golden Years and through the end of life
- Booklet: Soar My Butterfly: The Animal Dying Experience—a simple guide to the signs and symptoms you may encounter during the final stages of the natural dying process
- Quality of Dying Checklist—tool designed to help people work through the dying process
- Animal holistic care or animal hospice consultation with Gail—send an email to [email protected]
- Animal Acupressure Training Academy – Tom Wilson
- Animal Reiki Source – Kathleen Prasad
- Barbara Karnes – end of life educator and award winning nurse. (Books, Ebooks and DVD’s on human hospice care)
- International Association of Animal Hospice and Palliative Care
- Spirits in Transition – Ella Bittel – Holistic Veterinarian
- Phone: (805) 598-6496 (Urgent animal hospice calls answered as quickly as possible)
- The Nikki Hospice Foundation for Pets – Dr. Kathryn Marocchino
- Phone: (707) 557-8595 (Call if urgently seeking hospice care)