Hospice became a way of life at BrightHaven as we have cared for hundreds of senior and special-needs animals for over two decades. In doing so, we have learned so much about love and the circle of life from our animal loved ones. We focus on achieving a state of wellness, joy or balance whether for continued life or for transition. At BrightHaven we concentrate on helping the “being” to be the best they can possibly be, regardless of age, illness, or type of being–human or animal!
Our hospice care is very much aligned with hospice care for humans where love, comfort, dignity and quality of life are of the highest importance, and the spiritual aspect of the journey is highly honored. We strongly encourage anyone interested in learning about animal hospice to first read more on many available websites on the subject of death and dying including the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO) and the Hospice Foundation of America (HFA).
BrightHaven provides leadership in the development and application of animal hospice and its philosophy of care. We are dedicated to improving the care and support of animals with a serious or end-of-life illness. We foster respect and awareness for animals as sentient beings and promote an understanding of death as a natural part of life.
Death is not the extinguishing of the light…It is the putting out of the lamp because the dawn has come.
– Rabindranath Tagore
- The BrightHaven Guide to Animal Hospice Care
Caring for animal companions in their golden years and through the end of life. (Paperback and Kindle version).
- Consultation with Gail
- Animal Acupressure Training Academy – Tom Wilson
- Animal Reiki Source – Kathleen Prasad
- Barbara Karnes – end of life educator and award winning nurse. (Books, Ebooks and DVD’s on human hospice care)
- International Association of Animal Hospice and Palliative Care
- New England Pet Hospice and Home Care – Heather Merrill, CT. Founder and Director
- The Nikki Hospice Foundation for Pets – Dr. Kathryn Marocchino
- Spirits in Transition – Ella Bittel – Holistic Veterinarian